Speech Delivered by His Excellency, Umaru Tanko Al-makura, Governor of Nasarawa State, on the Occasion of the Presentation of First Class Staff of Office to His Royal Highness, Dr. Sani Muhammadu Bako III :Sunday, 6th August, 2017
1. His Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Nasarawa State;
2. The Right Hon. Speaker, Nasarawa State House of Assembly;
3. The Hon. Chief Judge of Nasarawa State;
4. Principal Officers and Members of the State House of Assembly;
5. Members of the State Executive and Security Councils;
6. The Secretary to the Government of Nasarawa State;
7. The Head of the Civil Service;
8. The State Chairman, All Progressives Congress (APC);
9. Permanent Secretaries;
10. His Royal Highness, Alhaji (Dr.) Isa Mustapha Agwai I, CFR, Emir of Lafia and Chairman, Nasarawa State Council of Chiefs;
11. Your Royal Highnesses, Visiting Emirs and Chiefs;
12. Chairmen and Chief Executives of Commissions, Boards and Parastatals;
13. Your Royal Highnesses, Emirs and Chiefs;
14. Prominent Sons and Daughters of Nasarawa State;
15. Other invited Guests at this Occasion;
16. Gentlemen of the Press;
17. Ladies and Gentlemen.
It is my pleasure to be part of this occasion of the presentation of First Class Staff of Office to His Royal Highness, Dr. Sani Muhammadu Bako III, Emir of Karshi, taking place here in Karshi, Karshi Development Area. I am pleased to join this chiefdom in welcoming other Emirs and Chiefs, friends and well-wishers who have found time to be with us at this important event.
2. No doubt, the presence of the large number of sons and daughters of this chiefdom who have come from all walks of life to felicitate with His Royal Highness at this occasion is a reflection of their esteemed regards of the sacredness with which they hold the traditional stool of the Emir of Karshi. It also expresses the love and respect for the royal father whose confirmation as a First Class chief we have gathered to witness today.
3. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, it would be recalled that, consequent upon the death of the former occupant of the throne, His Royal Highness, Dr. Sani Muhammadu Bako III was subsequently selected by the Karshi king makers to succeed his father. Let me, once again, congratulate the royal father for emerging as the new Emir of Karshi. I am confident that, though very big shoes to wear, you will be meticulous in using your craftsmanship to fill the vacuum. It is, indeed, my belief that, as an accomplished research fellow and technocrat, Your Royal Highness will be creative in confronting all challenges to enable you sustain the achievements of the late royal father.
4. Your Royal Highnesses, it is pertinent to state that Government will continue to support the Traditional Institution through the creation of conducive environment for their leadership to thrive. It is my belief that this is one way that will galvanize our paramount rulers to mobilize their subjects to support Government policies and programmes. Government considers the role of our royal fathers as sacrosanct in view of enamours responsibilities conferred on them. In the same vein, our traditions and customs oblige the subjects to provide good followership and take the task of building their communities through individual and collective endeavours. Considering the sometimes divisive nature of succession rivalry, it is my hope that the Emir will make concerted efforts in reaching out to the aggrieved, so that the Chiefdom will remain united, peaceful and prosperous.
5. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, let me reiterate that Nasarawa State has been at the forefront of the advocacy for the inclusion of the roles of traditional rulers in our statutes books. Our conviction in this direction is informed by the view that if the Traditional Institution is given the pride of place in the socio-cultural and economic development of this country, it will go a long way in sustaining peace and social cohesion, as well as produce responsive and productive citizens.
6. Let me reiterate that this Administration is committed to building a State that will compete favourably with the first generation states in terms of socio-economic development. This is in line with my solemn pledge when I assumed office as Governor of Nasarawa State six years ago. In this connection, Government has taken cognizance of the proximity of Karu axis with the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja and came up with a development plan that will enhance socio-economic activities of this area.
7. In this regard, this Administration has overhauled the infrastructural landscape of this axis and committed enormous resources in provision of roads, potable water, mass housing, economic and marketing outlets, in our quest to enhance socio-economic activities of our people in the entire Karu axis. In particular, construction of Tudunwada – Karshi road and Uke Township road which has been completed, just as efforts are being intensified to open roads that will connect Karshi to the FCT as another vista to enhance socio-economic development aimed at boosting commercial activities in the area, taking advantage of the fact that the Karu axis provides sanctuary not only to the indigenes of the State, but also people from across Nigeria and nationals of other countries.
8. I, therefore, call on all and sundry to support the efforts of this Administration by contributing your part in the sustenance of peace, tranquility and harmonious co-existence. I, therefore, charge all the communities in this chiefdom to give maximum support to His Royal Highness to enable him create opportunities for socio-economic activities to thrive for the benefit of this chiefdom, Nasarawa State and Nigeria at large.
9. At this juncture, let me once again congratulate Your Royal Highness on your formal installation and presentation of First Class Staff of Office today. I believe that you will continue to unite your people and show them the right direction for the progress and development of your chiefdom.
10. On this note, it is my pleasure to formally present the First Class Staff of Office to His Royal Highness, Dr. Sani Muhammadu Bako III, the Emir of Karshi.
11. Thank you and God bless.