Gov. Al-makura signs MoU with Chinese firm to build Cargo Airport in Lafia

His Excellency Umaru Tanko Al-makura of Nasarawa State has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a Chinese company, Tongyi Group, for the construction of an International Cargo Airport in Lafia.

Al-makura signed the agreement on behalf of the State Government, while Mr Algreen Zheng Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of the firm, signed on behalf of the Chinese firm. Al-makura said the project had become necessary given the benefits the state stood to gain from it. He said that 75 per cent of the total cost of constructing the airport would be financed by Tongyi Group leaving the state with only 25 per cent. Al-Makura said the proposed airport was conceived to reinforce his administrationís template for the overall development of the state.

He said that it would facilitate visits by investors who may be interested in taking a look at the stateís endowment for business. "The proposed airport seeks to unlock the potentials that lie in the state, to attract investment," he said. Al-makura said the funds by the state would be provided through the federal government's intervention on infrastructure, which would be repaid over a period of six years.

The governor said that the state government was also considering the construction of a direct link-road to connect the nation's capital, Abuja, with the airport. Earlier, Zheng said that the firm was committed to the timely completion of the project. He said that when completed, the airport would add value to the lives of citizens of the state and its neighbours and the project had become necessary given the benefits the state stood to gain from it.