Speech Delivered by His Excellency, Umaru Tanko Al-makura, Governor of Nasarawa State, on the Occasion of the Commissioning of High Court Headquarters Complex, Lafia: Monday, 28th May, 2019.
1. His Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Nasarawa State;
2. His Excellency, Engr. Abdullahi A. Sule, Governor-Elect, Nasarawa State;
3. His Excellency, Deputy Governor-Elect, Nasarawa State;
4. The Right Hon. Speaker, Nasarawa State House of Assembly;
5. The Hon. Chief Judge of Nasarawa State;
6. Principal Officers and Members of the State House of Assembly;
7. Members of the State Executive and Security Councils;
8. The Secretary to the Government of Nasarawa State;
9. Head of the Civil Service;
10. The National Vice Chairman, North Central Geo-political zone, All Progressives Congress (APC);
11. The State Chairman, All Progressives Congress (APC);
12. Permanent Secretaries;
13. His Royal Highness, Hon. Justice Sidi Bage Mohammed I, JSC Rtd, Emir of Lafia and Chairman, Nasarawa State Council of Chiefs;
14. Executive Chairmen of Local Government Councils and Overseers of Development Areas present;
15. Chairmen and Chief Executives of Commissions, Boards and Parastatals;
16. Your Royal Highnesses, Emirs and Chiefs, Nasarawa State;
17. Other invited Guests at this Occasion;
18. Gentlemen of the Press;
19. Ladies and Gentlemen.
It is with a sense of fulfillment that
we are gathered here today for the commissioning of the High Court Headquarters
Complex in Lafia, the State capital.
2. As you are aware, one of the major priorities of this Administration has always been to bequeath a judiciary in the State that can compete favourably with their counterparts in terms of structures in the country. This edifice which we are about to witness the commissioning, is, indeed, our commitment in this direction. I, therefore, feel satisfied that I am leaving behind a judiciary in the State that is far better than I met it.
3. Ladies and gentlemen, it is pertinent to state that the Judiciary is one of the critical arm of Government that is essential for the dispensation of justice in our determination to ensure an egalitarian society. It therefore, plays a significant role in the maintenance of societal peace and harmony. It is, indeed, the sanctuary for solicitors, adjudicators, arbiters and advocates who help to turn the wheel of justice and equity for the benefit of a common man and not so common people in the society.
4. It is against this background that since our assumption of Office in May, 2011, we discovered that the Judiciary has no befitting structure to be proud of. Their working environment was nothing but manageable. It is for this reason that, we decided to construct a new befitting High Court Headquarters Complex in Lafia and equip it with the state-of-the-art facilities. This edifice has a provision of Four (4) High Courts and Chambers for the Honourable Chief Judges, Six (6) Departments, Offices, Library and a Clinic.
5. In addition, this Administration has also constructed a High Court in Mararaba-Gurku in Karu Local Government Area to cope with the ever increasing litigations in the Abuja corridor. It is important to note that this Administration also committed enormous resources on renovation of High Courts, Magistrate Courts, Upper Area Courts and Area Courts across the State.
6. Your Excellencies, distinguished ladies and gentlemen, let me reiterate that this Administration has accorded priority to the appointment of judges, as well as the enhancement of welfare packages for workers in the judiciary. Accordingly, Government has provided essential working tools for judicial workers which include, regular release of funds, including procurement of vehicles for Judges, Sponsorship of local and international conferences to further sharpen the skills of our Judicial Officers, release of medical allowances for Judges of Superior Courts, as well as the first in history of this country to grant the judiciary autonomy to become independent.
7. This stride is in furtherance of our appreciation of the
synergy between the three (3) arms of Government which has work creditably well
and enhanced the delivery of the dividends of democracy to the people of
Nasarawa State. I urge the Judiciary to maintain this worthy partnership with
the in-coming Administration.
8. On this note, it is now my pleasure to commission a new High Court Headquarters Complex in Lafia.
9. Thank you and God bless us all.