SPEECH DELIVERED BY HIS EXCELLENCY, UMARU TANKO AL-MAKURA, GOVERNOR OF NASARAWA STATE, ON THE OCCASION OF THE FOUNDATION-LAYING CEREMONY OF THE AKWANGA MODERN MARKET, AKWANGA: THURSDAY, 11TH SEPTEMBER, 2014
Two days ago, I laid the foundation stone of Lafia Ultra Modern Market
in the State Capital.
2. It is with gratitude to Almighty God that we are gathered here
today to lay the foundation stone of Akwanga Modern Market.
3. Ladies and gentlemen, today’s event is a further testimony of the
commitment of this Administration to the development of markets and,
thus, stimulate unprecedented socio-economic development in the State.
4. It is pertinent to point out that our endeavour in the economic
sector is in fulfillment of our covenant with the people towards the
comprehensive development of the State. It is my belief that when
standard markets, such as the one we are about to lay its foundation,
are provided across the State, more people will participate in
business transactions. The situation of this modern market in the
headquarters of Akwanga Local Government Area, therefore, will go a
long way in decongesting the city and pave way for free flow of goods
and services in this senatorial zone.
5. The market is designed to be a model complex with over 1,400
lock-up shops. It will also be equipped with modern facilities such
as fire service station and police outpost, among others aimed at
providing security of lives and property. Work on the market will be
carried out in three (3) phases; with the first phase expected to be
completed very soon.
6. In this connection, I call on the contractors handling the project
to carry out the work with diligence and professionalism as specified
in the contract term.
7. At this juncture, it is imperative to remind us on the security
challenge confronting us in the State. I will continue to appeal to
all and sundry to be their brothers keepers and participate actively
in our peace building initiative. I assure all communities in
Nasarawa State that if we make peace our watchword, we will achieve
our noble aspirations.
8. On this note, it is my pleasure to lay the foundation stone of the
Akwanga Modern Market.
9. Thank you and God bless.