BEING TEXT OF AN ACCEPTANCE SPEECH BY HIS EXCELLENCY, UMARU TANKO AL-MAKURA, GOVERNOR OF NASARAWA STATE, ON THE OCCASION OF THE ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATE OF RETURN BY THE INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION (INEC) ON HIS RE-ELECTION AS GOVERNOR OF THE STATE, LAFIA: MONDAY, 13TH APRIL, 2015
1. I have just received the Certificate of Return as the winner of the governorship election in Nasarawa State which was adjudged as free, fair, credible and peaceful.
2. My beloved people of Nasarawa State, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the early hours of Monday, 13th April, 2015 declared the results of the Governorship election which returned me as winner of the poll, thus signifying the verdict of the good people of Nasarawa State.
3. We give gratitude to Almighty God for His divine grace, mercy and blessings, which enabled us to participate in this 2015 general elections.
4. The outcome of the governorship election has shown without doubt that once more, you have elected and conferred on me your valuable mandate. For this, I salute you for your trust in me, as well as your patriotism and steadfastness for the cause of democracy.
5. It is imperative to state that the votes you cast on 11th April, 2015 had no colour, no religion, no tribe, no section and no social status. They were votes freely cast in pursuance of our common dreams and aspirations, as well as a guaranteed future for our children yet unborn. This has shown that our citizens are capable of choosing their leaders according to their best hopes for the future.
6. My dear people of Nasarawa State, I, Umaru Tanko Al-Makura with utmost humility and gratitude to Almighty Allah, hereby accept your mandate to serve you for yet another term of four (4) years.
7. In accepting to take up this onerous responsibility, I believe that the task you have given me today is an acknowledgement of the modest achievements of our Administration in the past four (4) years. Indeed, as lovers of democracy, your renewed confidence has challenged me to serve you with greater vigour for the benefit of our people.
8. Let me re-assure all and sundry of my continued commitment to the ideals of the founding fathers of our beloved State and the philosophy of our great party, the All Progressives Congress (APC). Similarly, I wish to re-state my resolve to sustain our Administration’s policies and programmes that are anchored on the principles of probity, accountability, transparency, due process, rule of law and above all, the fear of God. This will be done with more emphasis to the cause of the ordinary man; you should expect policy reforms which will reinforce this focus of our government; THE ORDINARY MAN.
9. On my honour, I wish to point out that I shall not deviate from the noble path of growth, development and progress to which this Administration is committed with a view to promoting Nasarawa State to join the league of developed States in the country. You have seen and you have believed!
10. Let us not forget that the task ahead is a collective one. We all, therefore, must join hands to deliver on the high expectations of our people.
11. In this connection, I extend my hand of fellowship to all those that contested with me in the just concluded elections to join me in the task of moving our beloved State to enviable heights.
12. As we set to embark on yet another phase of service to our people, we must not leave any stone unturned towards the accomplishment of the objectives for which our State was created.
13. At this juncture, let me thank the Independent Electoral Commission, Security Agencies, Election Observers, Members of the Press and other stakeholders for the respective roles they played which enabled the conduct of free, fair and peaceful elections in Nasarawa State.
14. May God crown our collective efforts with more unity, peace, stability, harmonious co-existence and development.
15. Thank you.