[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]NASARAWA STATE URBAN DEVELOPMENT BOARD
The Nasarawa State Urban Development Board was established vide edict No. 8 of 1997 when Nasarawa State was created out of the defunct Plateau State in 1996.
STATUTORY FUNCTION OF THE NASARAWA STATE URBAN DEVELOPMENT BOARD.
The core activities of the Nasarawa State Urban Development Board revolve around the provision of social and economic infrastructures and services to Lafia, the State Capital, all the Local Government Areas Headquarters and other designated urban centers of Nasarawa State.
Specifically, the Board is charged with the following major functions:
- Monitoring and controlling of physical development within Lafia metropolis and other designated urban centers of the State.
- Beautification of environment through the provision and maintenance of roundabouts, parks, gardens, etc.
iii. Solid and liquid waste management.
- General environmental sanitation.
- Construction and maintenance of roads, water way structures such as bridges, culverts, drains, erosion control structures as well as installations and maintenance of street lights and traffic lights within Lafia Metropolis and all the designated Urban centers in the State.
- Monitoring and Supervision of related projects of other state government agencies.
vii. Parent/supervisor of Karu Community Based World Bank Assisted Urban Development Project.
STRUCTURE OF THE BOARD:
In order to effectively carry out the functions and responsibilities listed above, the Board is structured broadly into five (5) departments with each department being head by an Assistant General Manager (AGM). The departments are:
- Administration and Supplies
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Environmental Health Services
- Engineering Services
- Finance and Accounts
- Legal Services.
A Director on substantive/acting capacity heads each department. The total staff strength of the Board is presently Eighty – Four (84) excluding the pool staff from the office of Head of Civil Service, and Ministry of Finance and Casuals.
The Board operates are offices located at Keffi and Akwanga and each is headed by a senior officer.
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENTS:
The functions and responsibilities of each department are listed below:
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPLIES.
The department of Administration and Supplies has staff strength of Nineteen (19) including pool staff from office of the Head of Service.
The Department performs the following functions:
- General Administration of the human and material resources of the board.
- In-charge of security, establishment and transport matters of the Board.
- Coordinate the activities of both Senior Staff Management Committees (SSMC) and Junior Staff Management Committees (JSMC).
- Handles other matters such as recruitments, confirmation of appointments, promotions, annual increments, discipline and transport.
- Responsible for matters pertaining to supplies.
FINANCE AND ACCOUNTS:
The Department has staff strength of Twelve (12). It performs the following functions:-
- Responsible for custody of the finances of the Board.
- Supervises all financial transactions of the Board.
iii. Preparation and payment of staff salaries and other entitlements.
- It renders monthly, quarterly and annual returns on overhead cost and other special releases to Ministry of Finance.
- keeping and balancing of all accounting books of the Board.
This department works closely with the Audit Unit of the Board.
DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING SERVICES.
This department has staff strength of ten (10). The department of Engineering Services is responsible for the following activities:-
- Construction and maintenance of urban roads, water way structures such as bridges, culverts and drains etc as well as erosion control structures such as stone-pitching etc.
- Installation and maintenance of street lights and traffic lights.
iii. Provision of mechanical and electrical services.
- Traffic management.
URBAN AND REGIONAL DEVELOPEMNT.
The department has staff strength of Nineteen (19). The department is charged with the responsibility of the following activities:
- Development Control.
- Beautification of the environment.
iii. Street naming and house numbering.
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SERVICES.
The department has staff strength of Forty (40). The core activity of the department is Environmental Health which is the “Control of all those factors in man’s physical environment which exercise a deleterious effect on his physical, mental or social well-being”. This is structured in the functions. It is charged with the following responsibilities:
The department performs the following functions among others:
- Collection and disposal of refuse/waste;
- Provide pest control (fumigation) services in residences, hospitality environment, food preparing and manufacturing establishment.
- Collection and disposal of sewage/liquid waste.
- Recommending building plans for approval to ensure good housing condition.
- Ensure cleaning of streets and maintenance of the beauty of the environment.
- General sanitation in the State Capital and other urban areas of the state etc.
DEPARTMENT OF LEGAL SERVICES
The department is headed by an Assistant General Manager (Legal Services) and performs the following functions:
- Advising the Board on legal issues;
- Verifying/confirming service of development control notices;
- Forwarding court processes to the Ministry of Justice fr legal representation;
- Attending court in cases involving the Board;
- Drafting and vetting memorandum of Understanding (MOU) as it affects the Board