PRESS BRIEFING BY HIS EXCELLENCY, ENGR. ABDULLAHI A. SULE, GOVERNOR OF NASARAWA STATE ON THE MEASURES TAKEN BY THE NASARAWA STATE GOVERNMENT ON COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) IN THE COUNTRY
My dear people of Nasarawa State.
2. It would be recalled that I addressed you last week on the outbreak of COVID-19 in Nigeria. During my address, I made a commitment to update you as the event unfolds in our collective determination to safeguard the lives of our people.
3. In furtherance to this pledge, it has become necessary to take further measures to continue to contain and control the pandemic which has since become global pandemic with attendant consequences on human lives and economic development.
4. As you are aware, report from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the Federal Ministry of Health, indicates that the spread of the Coronavirus disease is raising on an alarming proportion. Although, Nasarawa State has not recorded any incidence, it behoves on us to take more stringent measures in order to prevent the spread of the virus in the State.
5. This is particularly necessary, considering the influx of people from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja which has been locked down as part of measures to control the spread of the pandemic. It is for this reason and in line with the provision of the Nasarawa State Dangerous Infectious Diseases (Emergency Prevention) Regulations, 2020, as well as the advice of the Nasarawa State High Powered Committee on COVID-19, the following measures come into immediate effect:
• Enforcement of a 24 hour curfew in Karu Local Government Area with effect from 6:00pm of Thursday, 2nd April, 2020 for 14 days in the first instance;
• Entry into Nasarawa State is hereby restricted to between 6:00pm to 6:00am and all persons coming into the State shall continue to be screened at the designated check-points/mobile clinics;
• Movement in Lafia, the State capital and other Urban centres are hereby restricted from 8:00pm to 6:00am with effect from Thursday, 2nd April, 2020.
• All markets are to remain closed except sellers of food items and medicaments outside the markets except in Karu Local Government Area where there is a 24 hour curfew;
• People of Nasarawa State are urged to continue to maintain the social distancing directive of the Federal Government of Nigeria and other measures to prevent the spread of the pandemic;
• All civil servants from GL. 01 – 12 are to remain at home except those on essential services until further notice;
• All security personnel are hereby directed to ensure the enforcement of these directives.
• A palliative Committee has been constituted to ensure that the citizens of the State are provided with necessary succour during this trying moments.
6. Let me reiterate our commitment to continue to monitor closely, the implementation of the additional measures taken to contain the spread of the virus.
7. Finally, I call on all residents of Nasarawa State to continue to abide by the instructions on the restriction of movements, social distancing and gathering in order to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 in our dear State.
8. Thank you and may God continue to bless and protect us all.