1. His Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Nasarawa State;
2. The Right Hon. Speaker, Nasarawa State House of Assembly;
3. The Hon. Chief Judge of Nasarawa State;
4. Principal Officers and Members of the State House of Assembly;
5. Members of the State Security Council;
6. The Secretary to the Government of Nasarawa State;
7. The Head of the Civil Service;
8. Special Advisers;
9. The National Vice Chairman, North Central Geo-political Zone, All Progressives Congress (APC);
10. The State Chairman, All Progressives Congress (APC);
11. Permanent Secretaries;
12. His Royal Highness, Hon. Justice Sidi Bage Muhammad II JSC (Rtd) Emir of Lafia and Chairman, Nasarawa State Council of Chiefs;
13. Chairmen and Chief Executives of Commissions, Boards and Parastatals;
14. Executive Chairmen of Local Government Councils and Overseers of Development Areas present;
15. Your Royal Highnesses, Emirs and Chiefs;
16. Gentlemen of the Press;
17. Ladies and Gentlemen.
It is with gratitude to Almighty God and a sense of fulfillment that I address you today on the occasion of the Flag-off Ceremony for the Construction of the Modern Bus Terminal in Lafia, the State capital.
2. You would recall that few months ago, I flagged-off the construction of Ultra-modern Bus Terminal in Karu Local Government Area of the State. During that occasion, I made a commitment to construct more bus terminals in the three senatorial zones of the State. It is for this reason that we are gathered here to witness the flag-off of the construction of the Lafia bus terminal.
3. It is important to stress that provision of infrastructural facilities is one of the veritable tools of enhancing development, particularly in the transport sector. It is also important to note that the transport sector, with adequate infrastructure is capable of spurring the socio-economic development of the society. It is in this connection that it becomes necessary to develop modern transport infrastructures which are considered necessary in order to unravel the potentials abound in the sector.
4. This and other reasons necessitated the need to put in place necessary infrastructural facilities for a well ordered city in order to enhance the desired developmental growth which will complement the status of the State capital.
5. Let me state that Lafia metropolis is faced with inadequate infrastructure with attendant increased cost of doing business which result in lower return in investments, fewer jobs and less productive labour with attendant negative effects on our economy. It is in this regard that Government is committed in providing infrastructural development towards improving the living standard of the people, as well as creating job opportunities for socio-economic development.
6. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, it is in this premise that this Administration considers it necessary to construct Megacity Terminals in Karu and Lafia. Accordingly, arrangement has been concluded to construct two other terminals of lesser status at Akwanga and Keffi respectively. This development is critical to the success of the mass transit service delivery, as every terminal will promote good culture of passengers embarking on a journey and arriving at its destination successfully.
7. It is pertinent to state that Lafia is strategically positioned as the State capital, as well as its advantage in linking major cities of Benue and South East. It becomes imperative to put in place the necessary infrastructural facilities to motivate the desired developmental growth that will be commensurate to the status of Lafia as the State Capital.
8. The Lafia Bus Terminal will serve as a hub for all transportation activities within Lafia axis. The facilities include civil works (roads, parking lots, opened and covered pedestrian walk ways), terminal building, drivers lounge, clinic, shops, cargo building, fencing, external electrical/mechanical installation, covered bus stop, restaurant/shops and refuse dumps, among others.
9. The contract for the construction of the terminal is awarded to Messrs KCC Construction, Messrs Ojeil Construction Limited and Messrs Mauritalia Nig. Ltd., which are to handle different sections of the construction. The project is estimated at the total cost of One Billion, Two Hundred and Sixty-seven Million, Seven Hundred and Twenty-seven Thousand, Three Hundred and Thirty-three Naira, Sixty Kobo (N1,267,727,333.60) only. The project is expected to be completed within the period of forty (40) weeks.
10. At this juncture, let me state that this project will be supervised by the Ministry of Works, Housing and Transport to ensure quality and compliancy to standard. I, therefore, charge the contractors handling this project to adhere strictly to the specifications and complete the project within the time frame. Similarly, I appeal to all and sundry to cooperate with the contractors to ensure the successful execution of the project.
11. On this note, it is now my pleasure to Flag-off the Construction of the Modern Bus Terminal in Lafia.
12. Thank you and may God bless us all.