MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORT DEVELOPMENT
BRIEF ON THE MINSTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORTS DEVELOPMENT
The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development came into existence in the year 1996, following the creation of Nasarawa State out of Plateau State by the administration of Late Gen. Sani Abacha. It later metamorphosed into the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development in the year 2000.
- To develop a youth base system aimed at empowering and projecting the talents and sporting potentials that abound in the state.
- To create an enabling environment for peaceful co-existence among the youth and people of different ethno-religious strata.
- To portray the sporting potentials of Nasarawa State to the world.
- To discover hidden talents that is spread across the state for podium heights.
- To use sport as a means of revenue generation and empowerment of the youths in the state.
- To participate in local, national and international sporting programs.
- To organize sporting activities for the target audience.
- To engage the youth in youthful programs.
- To interface between the government md the target audience in youthful related programs
- To create a peaceful atmosphere for people of different values, faith and beliefs.
- Creation of jobs for the unemployed youths.
- Enhancing the health factor of an individual.
- Breaking barriers and stereotype: through social cohesion.
- To boost the confidence of an individual and enhance performance
- Project the image of an individual and his community on value reorientation.
- Bringing the government closer to the people for participation in government policies and programs.
‘Sound mind in a sound body ’
- The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development is headed by the Honorable Commissioner, Permanent Secretary as the chief accounting officer with supportive technical director. The ministry has seven (7) departments each headed by a director, the departments are as follows:
- Youth Development.
- Administration and Supply
- Finance and Accounts.
- Facilities and Stadium Management.
- Technical and Coaching.
Research Planning and Statistics.
The Ministry of Sports and Youth Development was created in September, 2003, by His Excellency , Alhaji (Dr.) Abdullahi Adamu.
The Ministry’s major aim and objective are the development of Youth and Sports in all aspects through various Youth and Sports activities.
- Finance and Accounts
- Sports (Organizing/PRS, Technical and Facilities)
- Youth Development
The Ministry’s major aim and objective is the development of Youths and Sports in all aspects through various youth and sports activities.
Administration and Supplies Department
The department is responsible for the supervision and coordination of the operations of other department. Other functions of the department include staff promotion, employment, training, discipline , confirmation of appointments, processing of annual leave, staff welfare, annual increment as well as other establishment matters . it also serves as secretariat to management meetings.
Finance And Accounts:
This department controls the financial transaction and maintains accounts of the commission. The department advises the Accounting officer and other departments heads. It also keeps custody , disbursement of funds and maintenance of recognized books and other books of accounts.
This department is saddled with the responsibilities of Organizing , Planning and keeping statistical records on sporting activities and achievements .
Upgrading of Lafia City stadium
Construction of (5) Mini stadium in the state
Construction of (3) multipurpose sport hall
Construction of Game village in Lafia
Construction of (3) new youth centres in Keana, Nasarawa Eggon and Karu
Purchase of Sport Equipment
Sinking of 2 additional boreholes for NYSC Camp
Purchase of capital equipment for stadium
Remodelling of lafia Golf Course (Fencing)
Construction of access road
Remodeling of Lafia township stadium by construction of astro turf football pitch and remodeling of VIP
Provision of two (2) transformers for lafia city stadium and Ministry
Construction of Tartan-track at the Lafia City stadium
Construction of internal roads at NYSC Permanent Orientation camp, Keffi.
- Prompt assistance to NYSC Corps members on camp
- Trained 45 youth on skllls acquisition and empowerment in collaboration With Industrial Training Fund (ITF) in areas of carpentry, welding/fabrication and electrical installations.
- The Ministry from inception had the following as chairmen and commissioners respectively.
CHAIRMEN 0F SPORT COUNCIL/COMMISSION
- Yahaya Bello
- Alh Shehu Abdullahi
- Elisha Dachor
- David Efuna
- A. A. Alaku
- Labaran Maku.
- Silas Ali Agara
- Danlami Awaje
- Usman Bagudu
- Mohammad Envulanza
- Silas Ali Agara
- Daniel Ogah Ogazi
- Joseph Mbatsav
- Emmanuel Hun Yaji
- Ishaku A. Galadima
- Hon Bamaiyi Amangba
- Hon Salisu Haske Abubakar
- Hon Othman Bala Adam
- Mrs Phoebe Ayeanaje
- Philip Dada
- Mrs Bridget Azaki
- Randolph Para
- lshak A. Galadima
- Alh Dauda Sabo
- Bulus M. Amoyi
- Naphtali J. Dachor
- Nicholas Aboki
- Alh Usman OkpoShl
- Mr Bulus M. Amoyi
- Focal Person’s Contact Dctmls;
- Adamude Shamsudeen
Ministry of Youth and Sport